Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Daleks, the TARDIS, and Football - Oh My!

Today has been a day off of ministry tasks, and I got picked up to see some sights by a couple of the Eden team members!

We started out by taking a walk around Media City, which is an area of Manchester dominated by the BBC and ITV. Some of their studio buildings are all there and close together, so it's a really neat part of the city. While we were walking around (and joking about the possibility of running into Benedict Cumberbatch), that's when I saw it in the BBC1 window... the TARDIS!!! One of my friends ran and to see if we could go in by it and see it, which we absolutely did. Not only could I see the TARDIS, but I also got a picture by a couple of Daleks. Needless to say, it was like Christmas!

After our little detour for me to geek out, we went into the Imperial War Museum. It was an amazing collection of artifacts from World Wars I and II, as well as some modern day exhibits. It even held some of the wreckage from the World Trade Center, which was absolutely chilling to see. They also had an incredible picture show about remembrance, which was projected all over the walls in the central part of the museum. It was a very unique experience and was filled with some great discussion as well.

Once we had seen everything in the museum, we went to the Manchester United football stadium - much to the chagrin of my dear brother-in-law (Sorry, David!). We had lunch inside of the stadium, and I had my first experience with proper fish and chips, which were amazing! I also had a magnificent pudding of ice cream and a salted caramel brownie. Good eating!

After a break back at my host's house, the same friends took me to the Trafford Centre - a huge, beautiful shopping mall. There were some familiar shops, but a lot of them were totally new to me and exciting to see. Overall, today was a great day, but I'm very sad knowing that tomorrow is my last full day in Manchester. These goodbyes are killing me.



Blessings,
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment