Monday, July 4, 2016

Independence Day in the UK

So, I have a lot to write about considering I didn't write at all yesterday.

Yesterday, Sunday, I attended two church services. I got to go to Ivy Church Sharston in the morning, which was an incredible experience. The service was very similar to what I'm used to at Community, but with a few changes. The message was all about the condition of our hearts, which was the wrap-up to a series all about the heart based on a verse in Proverbs. Everyone there was very welcoming, and it was so exciting being able to be a part of it.

The second service was in Eden Merseybank. My host family are the team leaders of the Eden Network in the Merseybank community in Manchester, and they run a small church (connected to Ivy) in the community center. It was such a unique experience, as it had a more informal feel due to the smaller numbers and it being in a smaller community center space, but it was so cool to see the community of the estate coming together with the common aim of praising Jesus. It just really goes to show that a church building is literally just a building. When the Body of Christ comes together, THAT is the Church.

Today, I got to spend some time in the community cafe that Steve and Sarah started up for the estate. I got to know a few more of the people connected with it and a few of the students I spent time with at the youth event on Saturday. I also got to see Ivy Church Kingsway and meet a few of the staff people, including one of the people that I had talked to over Skype when planning this trip. It was so nice to be able to see another campus, and I also got to explore a bit of the Didsbury community with my host as well as put together a bit of an itinerary for me together.

Afterwards, we went over to our neighbors across the street on the estate for an Independence Day barbecue. Now, I know what you're thinking: an Independence Day barbecue in the UK??? Well, the husband is actually from New Mexico and his wife is British, so now they live in Manchester. His brother was also in town visiting, so the party between the six of us was 50/50 as far as the American-British ratio goes. They grilled, we ate, and later we actually lit off fireworks. It was loads of fun and the sheer irony of this celebration just made it all the better. I felt so welcomed in and had an awesome time.

Tomorrow, I'll get to attend some church meetings and hopefully meet more of the staff!

Please continue to pray for the city of Manchester and Ivy Church, as well as Eden Merseybank and the students on the estate. Thank you for your prayers so far!

Blessings,
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment